If you like seafood gumbo here’s a great recipe that only takes 30 mins to make and contains a whopping 4 weight watcher points for 2 cups. This recipe is super filling and really tasty. It’s 100% husband approved and that’s coming from a hubby who’s had authentic gumbo down south. I will be making this recipe again and again it was that delicious.
- 1/2 lb shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- 1/2 lb lump crabmeat (real crab meat not artificial)
- 1/2 lb okra, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 cups fat free vegetable broth
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, mined
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp light margine
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Spray a large, non-stick pot with with non-fat cooking spray and set over medium-high heat. Add in garlic okra, bell pepper, onions, and celery. Cook until veggies are tender, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
- Make the roux by adding the butter to the skillet, and then add in the flour; stir until blended. Continue to cook, stirring constantly for about 6-8 minutes.
- Slowly add the broth into the pot, continuously stirring to remove lumps, and bring to a slow simmer.
- Add in the thyme, bay leaves, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, lemon juice, and tomatoes.
- Add the cooked vegetables back into the skillet and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp and crabmeat and simmer until shrimp are cooked, about 3-5 minutes.