Instead of oil, I used apple sauce and instead of one egg I used two egg whites. These muffins came out super moist and yummy. Each muffins contains approximately 2 weight watcher points. Serve these up the next time you have stew or chilli or just for fun as an afternoon treat.
Sometimes we slice the muffin in half and butter with homemade maple butter or honey butter. Try toasting the halves too if you like a bit of crunch.
UPDATE: Please check my Low-Fat Jalapeno Cornbread recipe. This is my husband’s new favorite baking recipe.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1/3 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce (room temperature)
- 2 Egg Whites
- Stir dry ingredients together.
- Add the wet ingredients and beat just until all ingredients are blended.
- Fill well-greased muffin cups 2/3 full ( I used a square muffin pan)
- Bake at 400F for 20 minutes. Immediately run a small knife around each muffin and pull out of muffin cup onto a cooling rack. Best served warm from the oven. Yields 12 Cornmeal Muffins.
MY KITCHEN TOOLS
With the square shape, you can slice the muffins in half and butter both halves and eat it like a mini bread loaf. Yum!!! 🙂