Those of us watching our weight know that pancakes and weight loss don’t really go well together. However, healthy happy pancakes every once in a while can’t harm anyone especially when one pancake is worth 1 Weight Watcher point (old system). I searched and searched the web for a low fat healthy pancake recipe and to be honest none of them looked appetizing. When you start removing key ingredients that change the chemistry of a good pancake, you’re left with dense, non-fluffy pancakes. You can change ingredients, but only if you’re smart about it. For example, apple sauce works as a liquid replacement in some recipes but not all recipes.
Here I took a simple pancake recipe and modified it just enough to get those crazy fluffy awesome pancakes that I have missed since starting my journey over 5 years ago. This recipe makes 9 round fluffy pancakes, just enough for my hubby and I (5 for him 4 for me). Be advised, point values reflect the old Weight Watchers point system and account for an undressed pancake. If you’re going to dress these up make sure you count your points accordingly. I like Smuckers no-sugar added jam. Very little calories per serving so it goes a long way.
- 3/4 cup Flour
- 1 3/4 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 tablespoon Stiva
- 3/4 cup Milk
- 1 Egg White
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Melted Low Fat Becel Margarine
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl and form a well in the center.
- Mix all wet ingredients in a bowl.
- Pour the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients and mix (batter maybe lumpy that’s ok)
- Spray pan with oil (i have an oil spray bottle so little oil is used) if not use .5 tsp of oil and spread around the pan.
- Drop by tablespoons in to pan and watch the magic happen.
- Once cooked take a paper towel and whip off used oil and put in fresh oil for your second batch.
- Top with your favorite topping and enjoy (make sure you account for your topper points)