I am really enjoying my new found love for clean eating. Mostly because I get to experiment with amazing fresh foods like this one. Red Quinoa with a little kick from Jalapeno (spice it up a notch by adding more if you wish). One serving is 1 cup and this recipe makes approximately 5 cups. Each serving is 4 weight watcher points (223 cals, 4g fat, 5g fiber and 8g protein (without feta)). Add additional 1 point for the feta since it is optional.
- 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Whole Cumin Seeds
- ½ Onion, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno, seeds and ribs removed, thinly sliced into half circles
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, seeds and ribs removed,finely chopped
- 1 tbls grated fresh Ginger
- 2 minced fresh Garlic Cloves
- 1½ cups Red Quinoa
- 2¼ cups Low-sodium Vegetable Broth
- ¼ tsp Ground Coriander
- ¼ tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/8 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Bay Leaf
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro
- 1 tbls of low fat Feta Cheese (Optional)
- In a medium pot heat Olive Oil on medium heat.
- Add Cumin Seeds and stir in oil until fragrant.
- Add Onion, Jalapeño, Cherry Peppers, Ginger and Garlic, cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for Cilantro and Feta. Stir to combine and Increase heat and bring to a boil
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 20 minutes or until all water is absorbed and quinoa is plump.
- Remove from heat and keep covered for 5 minutes to allow all water to absorb.
- Remove Cinnamon Stick and Bay Leaf and discard. Stir in Cilantro, top with Feta Cheese and serve.